Hey out there. This is my story of freedom found. Tales of camaraderie, mishaps and adventures. Come along and enjoy the ride.

My photo
Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Saturday, November 26, 2005


It is said in the motorcycle world, if you haven't gone down, you will. Well, I don't necessarily believe it, but yeah, I've been down. As a matter of fact, I've been down multiple times. None were really serious. That incident with the Seca II was probably less than 10 m.p.h. I did dump the hawk earlier in the summer. Turning around in a gravel driveway and got a little too much front brake. Did a little "combat" roll into the grass, no biggie. Then came the day. My first accident at any decent speed. Here is the story as I recounted this past August.


A view you don't want........

If you are out riding (more specifically, on your way to work), here is one view you just don't want. Your bike on it's side, sparks showering off of it toward you, as you are sliding along at 50 mph up a freeway exit ramp. But when you finish your asphault slip-n-slide and get to your feet, you realize you are one lucky person. You are smart because you wear your leather jacket, gloves, and boots everytime you ride. You are in one piece, though you don't yet feel the burning on your hip where your blue jeans prove they don't hold up the best and you now have a small slab of road rash. You walk over to your fallen machine, and lift her back upright, drop the kickstand and stand back in amazement. Somehow, someway, very little damage is done. You take a few moments to calm your nerves and look the bike over. It appears there is no real damage. A scratched and ground down exhaust, a scuffed signal, ground down pegs and levers and a broken mirror. Absolutely amazing. Evidently the motorcycle gods didn't feel the little hawk deserved the punishment of my poor decisions. You are settled now and attempt to start your baby. Crank once, nothing. Crank again, and she fires up, with only a small backfire. Hop on and continue to work. Wow. My first somewhat serious accident, and I ride away like nothing happened. Got in over my head with that enticing curve that just draws you in, and exceeded my limits. My poor decision also re-enforces one of my favorite sayings........ "Experience is a harsh teacher. She always gives you the test first, and the lesson afterwards." Ride safe, my friends.

--Ride safe, but have fun doin' it!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! I have only one word to say OUCH!

Who else is reading....