Hey out there. This is my story of freedom found. Tales of camaraderie, mishaps and adventures. Come along and enjoy the ride.

My photo
Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Friday, July 28, 2006

Wow. Seems like I did a lot of riding this past couple of weeks. I'll try not to drag this out to much to bore ya guys.

Pretty much started fun riding last Thursday. Met up with a couple of guys from the DSB site and rode out to Royal Oak for bike night. Nice just to get out and hang out for a few checking out all the bikes that roll through. Not to mention the chicks. Yeah, bikes draw them out, I think. Ran into some more guys from the site and just some others that we know. A good time. But I did have to take off a bit early to head to work.

On Saturday, I picked up my brother Steve and us and the kids headed down to Metro Powersports where the All Odds Beaten stunt team were putting on a show. Free food, some sic stunts and a bunch of good people make for a nice day. Here are just a couple pics I was able to get.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





On Sunday morning, it was up at 7:00 am. Jen was off to Davison for her Grandpa's birthday party and I was gonna meet up with them later that afternoon. First, it was time to ride. I met a fellow rider that I have been corresponding with some online. She lives close by and we finally got a chance to get out and ride. Was my first time actually leading anyone. I have been in small and large groups with people behind me, so I'm used to keeping an eye out for rider's behind me. Making sure they make it through curves, intersections, and other things. Never want to ride away from a fellow rider that goes down. This was a nice easy pace, so it wouldn't be to much to worry about.

We did a 4 county loop (Macomb, Oakland, Lapeer, and St. Clair) that ended up being about 150 miles. Started down Clinton River Rd to M53, then jogged over to Shelby Rd. Took that up to 23 Mile Rd which curves around nicely to Dequindre. A quick jump up Dequindre and we are able to jump on Parkdale, which winds us into Rochester. Once on Rochester Rd. we are able to head north away from civilization. After we gas up at 32 Mile Rd., we find the twisty section of Rochester Rd. With no traffic to speak of in front of us, we are able to enjoy a comfortable cruise through the curves all the way north to Dryden.

At that point we point our wheels east down Dryden Rd. to find Belle River Rd. Belle River is an enjoyable road with some nice curves thrown in. (It's also the road where no less then 2 DSB members have went down on!) It will take you right into Memphis with almost no stops. Memphis is my normal stop point. Get something to eat, drink and to clean my shield. My normal spot wasn't opened yet, though, so we visited Subway. It's not the same when you ride somewhere, then eat at a place you could eat at right around the corner from home (unless the name of the place is HOOTERS), but it was food. Got to talk a little, which was nice. It's a funny thing about motorcyclists. You usually have spent miles doing something together, but had hardly any conversation beforehand.

We headed east out of Memphis heading for Dolan/Rattle Run Rds. Rode those to Wadhams where we headed south to Indian Trail, which stays south. At Marine City Hwy, a quick jump east to Marsh Rd, and we were south bound again. Marsh leads you right to Algonac and the shores of the St. Clair River where we jump south on M29 and follow that towards home.

Once we hit Jefferson and make the quick freeway detour on I94 to get around the S.A.N.G. Base, we were back on N. River Rd. Over the Clinton River to S. River Rd. and we were on Jefferson again. We had decided a photo op was in order, and this was as good as place as any I figured, so we pulled off to get an action shot of her, so she'd have one.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





While we were pulled over, had just one more experience that re-affirms how good the motorcyclist family can be. We were just getting off our bikes and another rider on a Harley slowed to make sure everything was ok, and we didn't need a hand with something. Is it a brotherhood? I'm not sure. It could just be because one of us was a woman. LOL.

Once done there we were back on the road again. Jumped the Jefferson/Shook/Harper Circle back up to Crocker to head back to Clinton River Rd. And that's where that ride ended, with a couple thank you's and hand shake. It was a pleasant ride, even while dodging roadkill. We'll ride again, for sure!

Well, from there it was more miles to put on. Time to head north and get to Jen's grandparents. I fenagled my way over to I75 and hotfooted it up to M15 where I could take a nice easy ride into Davison. Only about 10 minutes away from Davison I stopped to get something to drink and take a little break. I noticed Jen had called so I called her back only to find out my middle child, Andrew, was sick and they were heading home. So now I head south.

After a while a decided to head east. Found a two lane road that looked good enough and decided to find out where it would take me. That ended up being Lapeer Rd. (M24) which I took south into Oxford. Then headed east on Lakeville Rd. back to Rochester Rd. I figured since I was here, I would enjoy the curves at a bit faster pace. But got stuck behind traffic going through them, and after I turned around to come back toward home. Oh well. Can't always have it your way. Back south on Rochester Rd and headed home on all the roads I had ridden earlier that day. I did get away from traffic on Clinton River Rd. so I enjoyed that, too.

Once home, it ended up being a little more than a 250 mile day. Just a nice way to spend the day. But, I'll have to get up north to see the in-laws again, soon. It has been a while.

Next time I'll tell you of my adventures in the rain. Figured you have had enough for now.

No comments:

Who else is reading....