Hey out there. This is my story of freedom found. Tales of camaraderie, mishaps and adventures. Come along and enjoy the ride.

My photo
Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, December 05, 2005


Even in my limited experience, there have been many things that have been opened to me since beginning to ride. Of those, the camaraderie I have witnessed and experienced has been pretty amazing. There aren't many things in life that will bring two strangers together like a motorcycle.

If you are out on the road driving in any automobile, you meet fellow drivers all day long. With you Jeepsters bing the exception, you pass without a second thought. It is different on a motorcycle.

When one rider happens across a fellow motorcyclist, 9 times out of 10, they will have an interaction with each other. Whether it is the simple wave of acknowledgement or stopping together for a bite to eat after pacing each other down your favorite twisty back roads, there is a kinship. Two complete strangers will spend an entire day together without a thought of political opinions, social views or personal agendas. Friendships are formed because of one simple fact; you both love to ride.

Of course there is always a guy or group of guys that won't mesh well with others. Some of the Harley guys don't like the sportbike riders. Some of the sportbike riders don't like the "stunters". I guess life can't be perfect, but that is the minority. I have ridden to work and ended up cruising along side a Harley-Davidson for 5 miles, stopping at each red light for a little conversation. A week later I ended up riding along side a guy on a Yamaha YZF600R, watching him do a couple of wheelies and, again, making small talk at the stoplights.

I know that on just about any nice riding day, I can spend a few minutes online and set up a ride with somebody. We won't know anything about each other, other than what bike we ride. With a quick hello and a handshake, we'll be off for a great day in the sun. We will explore roads, both familiar and unfamiliar. We will see small towns and big cities. We will experience that small town diner where the atmosphere and food will catch you off guard; making a return visit a must. In the end, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and screen names are exchanged. The chain continues, adding another link, continuing a tradition that pre-dates even world wars.

Yes, my world has expanded exponentially since I started riding. I can only say that it was a most unexpected surprise.

No comments:

Who else is reading....